Time for a change?
Did you know that all of Cardiff’s fostered children and young people are placed through Cardiff Council directly?
We know that, as a foster carer, your first consideration is for the stability of the children in your care. That’s why we make it as easy as possible for people who are fostering to transfer over to Cardiff Council directly. As all of Cardiff’s children and young people are placed through Cardiff Council directly, you’ll be able to make the move in a way that is most beneficial for you, your family and the young person/s in your care.
We at Cardiff Council’s Fostering Service have adopted the Fostering Networks “Transfer of Carers Protocol”.
“The Transfer of Carer Protocol is based on the assumption that carers have the right to freedom of movement between Fostering Services; and the principle that, in all circumstances, the welfare of any child in placement must be paramount”. (Fostering Network 2004)
Why do Foster Carers transfer to Cardiff Fostering Service?
- Lack of children placed with current agency.
- Poor matching in previous placements.
- Lack of retainer pay.
- They understand the importance of keeping local children in their local area.
- Wish to support a Not-For-Profit Local Authority Fostering Service.
There are a number of benefits to be had transferring over to foster directly with the Council.
- We have a large number of cared for children in Cardiff. This means that our carers have higher occupancy levels with shorter gaps between placements than many other foster agencies. This means that if you rely on the income from fostering you will have a reduced risk of long periods when you don’t have the offer of a placement.
- If you live in or around the Cardiff area it makes sense to be working with the Council – we have and always will have the welfare of our children, young people and foster carers at the very heart of everything we do. We are right on your doorstep, and if you need our support can count on us to be here when you need help.
- You will get regular support from your dedicated social worker and can access a variety of training courses.
- Our Fostering Service is part of the wider Specialist Service area. This means you will become part of the service area that provides specialist services and resources to our looked after children and care leavers. There is a close relationship between the Fostering Services and the Looked After Children’s Service, which can only benefit you and the children placed with you.
Every transfer case is looked at individually and some can be completed sooner than others, depending on your situation.
Please don’t delay, contact us on 02920 873797 or make an online enquiry
We would really like to hear from you!